Based on decades of research which led to his award-winning book, The Heart of Addiction, Dr. Dodes created this multimedia course to provide you with actionable knowledge and insights that you can start using immediately to bring about dramatic improvements in your patients and clients suffering from a wide range of addictions.
In this video-based course, you will learn:
- Why addiction is so deeply misunderstood in our culture and in clinical practice
- Why addiction behaviors are not the same as self-destructive behaviors
- Why most addiction behaviors do not stem from genetics or physical factors
- How to avoid outdated treatment approaches which may be counter productive
- How to help your patients and clients understand their addiction so they can become active participants in their treatment
COURSE STRUCTUREThis course is designed to be taken at your own pace. The curriculum is divided into 8 weeks to allow time for viewing videos and readings. Each week includes:
- An hour-long video presentation by Dr. Dodes on the week’s topics. (videos available to be watched at any time)
- Selected readings from Dr. Dodes’s two popular books, "The Heart of Addiction" and "Breaking Addiction"
- An online quiz on that week's topics, with real clinical examples
- Questions about the material may be submitted to Dr. Dodes by email at any time.
- What is addiction? A modern view
- Behaviors that look like addiction, but aren't
- Approaches to the patient with addiction
- Treatment strategies
- 12-Step programs and rehabilitation
- Myths of addiction
- Treatment of couples and adolescents
- Gambling and sexual addictions
Q: How can I obtain the course books?
A: "The Heart of Addiction" and "Breaking Addiction" are both available in paperback and Kindle editions from Amazon. Their combined cost is about $25. Here are the links:
Q: How do I obtain Continuing Education credits?
A: This course qualifies for 18 Continuing Education Credits for for psychologists, social workers, nurses, and mental health counselors. To claim credits, you must pass a multiple choice examination at completion of the course. Credits are awarded through R. Cassidy Seminars for a fee of $45 for the 18 CEU credits, paid directly to them.
Lance Dodes, M.D. is assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School (retired), Training and Supervising Analyst Emeritus at the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, and Faculty member of the New Center for Psychoanalysis (Los Angeles). He has been the Director of the substance abuse treatment unit of Harvard’s McLean Hospital, Director of the Boston Center for Problem Gambling, and Chair of the American Psychoanalytic Association's discussion group, "Treating the Patient with Addiction in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy." He is the author or coauthor of many journal articles and book chapters about addiction and the author of three books: The Heart of Addiction (HarperCollins, 2002), Breaking Addiction: A 7-Step Handbook for Ending Any Addiction (HarperCollins, 2011), and The Sober Truth: Debunking the Bad Science Behind 12-Step Programs and the Rehab Industry (Beacon Press, 2014; senior author). Dr. Dodes has been honored by the Division on Addictions at Harvard Medical School for "Distinguished Contribution" to the study and treatment of addictive behavior, and has been elected a Distinguished Fellow of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry.